Thursday, July 06, 2006

An ode to Baton Bob

I'm selfish enough to think that he was my secret. I had first seen him here, and I'm sorry baby, but the tutu took me by surprise. By the third time I saw him, he was a welcome fixture in my outings. He and I seemed to go everywhere together. A part of me felt like he showed up just for my enjoyment.

I called him Queen Bee because of our first memorable meeting. After describing my secret treasure of Midtown to my coworker, she says, "Oh. You mean Baton Bob." I got the idea that one of her friends coined the moniker and dismissed it. Then last weekend I read Creative Loafing and sure enough it mentions Baton Bob several times. He has a name.

I was slightly disappointed. Baton Bob wasn't dressing up and blowing the whistle just for me, he was doing it for everyone in Midtown. On the plus side, I thought I could Google his name and get a few photos because he's always been too quick for me to take a picture.

Google finished the name for me. Hmm, he is a popular search. Then I nearly peed in my pants as I screamed in my cubicle during my lunch hour. Baton Bob has his own Wikipedia entry. It's in the freaking Internet encyclopedia. He's not just entertaining Midtown, he's entertaining the world.

Oh, did I mention they did a story on him on CNN? May Baton Bob bring you enough enjoyment as he brings me.

8 comments:

citizen student said...

o jamie... i know i can always count on you for an afternoon pick-me-up...

i wish ih ad sound on my computer so i could have heard the interview with cnn but alas.

anyway. that girl i never really liked quit the other day and i might get to go back to where i was *swoon*...

i'm going away this week! yay! chocolate covered ants for everyone!
i don't know why i said that

Jamie said...

You can't go away and leave me! Noooo!

citizen student said...

yes but imagine that when i come back i will have loads of stories and shit to tell. how about i send you a post card from toronto? how exciting will that be?

btw. you're deep man. for reals...

and i spent my 4 of july working and not getting to watch the fireworks or drink.

sigh... summer will be better.
i might be in atlanta sometime next year. my cousins are considering renewing their vows out there...

Jamie said...

Do y'all even celebrate the 4th? Or is it an excuse to get drunk?

Sigh... if you must leave me...

You need to come! I can show you the crack whores in the Church's Chicken parking lot!

Ryon said...

That did lighten my day. You know what else would make my days better...some freakin' CDs this girl I know promised me months ago. I'm sure she is just way too busy for little ole me, but it sure would make this displaced southern boy smile.

;-)

Momo said...

AMAZING!! I watched your video and I just knew I'd seen him before. But, I thought - can there possible be another one???

I read the Wikipedia story and it confirmed it! My husband and I used to see him in St. Louis (Central West End) twirling his baton and whistling. I remember my husband pointing out in an article that he was moving...

Another mystery solved!

Jamie said...

Baton Bob - uniting people across the country!

Anonymous said...

Then I nearly peed in my pants as I screamed in my cubicle during my lunch hour.

You know, you could make good money if you make a website of that.

-Erik

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com