Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Sasha

My father, who is not a movie man, declares Doctor Zhivago his favorite film of all time. He is not quiet about this opinion, speaking of it often and nonchalantly. As I think about it now, it almost seems he works it in conversation. What are we watching? Some dumbass movie? My favorite is Doctor Zhivago—great love story. I used to think he said it because it was probably the only movie the man had seen.

When I saw the film appear on TiVo the other week, I decided to record it and see what it was all about. For three hours I watched my father's favorite love story unfold: a man who leaves his wife and child to live with another woman and raise her child. All of a sudden, the reasons why my father loved this movie so much became apparent. And I grew sick to my stomach.

For I was Sasha.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, not having seen this movie, what does you being Sasha mean?

Jamie said...

Sasha was the name of the child he had with his wife.

dont eat the token said...

Uck. Sorry, that is a sad realization. He probably doesn't see it from your way at all.

The Mad Inscriber said...

I wonder if mentioning that sometime would have some kind of impact on him... Just an instigatory remark, not an actual suggestion...

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com