Monday, July 03, 2006

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

A couple of weeks ago I found out my friend had died. Paul and I had actually been trying to find him for months to reestablish communication. It was Paul who came across the MySpace page and sent it to me. It was me who read the page and figured out he was no longer with us. I sent a e-mail out to the keeper of the dedication page asking what happened, but never got a response.

That night when I was asleep, I dreamed. I dreamed about Fish. We were in the desert walking alongside a road. The road was very straight except for a sharp curve. When Fish and I approached the curve, we stopped to stare at it. "I didn't see the curve," he half-laughed and shrugged. I nodded. Fish continued talking to me. He told me he was alright and happy. I think I said I missed him and had been trying to get back in touch with him. We were standing at the sharp curve and looking at the landscape below us. To comfort me, he put his arm around my shoulders. I felt it. Not like you feel things in dreams where you know you're touching something and are remotely aware of what it feels like, or how you say things in dreams and know you're not really speaking. I was fully aware of his arm around me. Even in my dream I knew that this touch was real.

After weeks of tracking people down, I finally got a response to what happened. Joe wrote,
"The story is that as he was driving home he went around dead mans curve, which caused some DVDs to slide in his truck seat. He must have been reaching over to keep them from falling into the floor and didn't realize that he was going straight as the road was slightly bending to the right. This then caused him to cross the yellow line enough that a mini bus collided with him head on."
The setting was different, but the message was the same. He didn't see the curve.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I have no doubts as to the power of your dream. After my friend was killed in a car accident, I had similar ones and completely can understand the comfort you were given by it. I am so sorry you had to find out in a such an awkward way and I hope you are doing alright.

Anonymous said...

How awesome about the dream and how close it was to the real story, it just shows that there is afterlife of some sort out there whether they are ghosts floating around earth or heavenly creatures above.

Jamie said...

It's stuff like that that really makes you believe

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com