Tuesday, June 27, 2006

That's bad, right?

My Calvin Kleins had been sitting by my computer for the past week as my inspiration for my "Blue is my world" series. For reasons unbeknownst to me, or more likely, a victim from me drinking too much and doing things around my apartment that leave me scratching my head for days, they had been moved to my kitchen counter. A pant leg hangs perilously above the trash can-- perhaps I was going to throw them away, but chickened out at the last moment.

I came home from work, dropped my keys into the basket, and walked to my kitchen where I immediately stepped out of my shoes. It's amazing how quickly habits can form. I sorted through the mail, dropping the bills into a box that I will invariably forget about until the night before the bill is due. The rest, pizza specials mostly, go straight into the trash.

My Calvin Kleins greeted me from above the trash can. I looked at them and thought about how I really need to write the conclusion to end the series that only girls can understand. It was then I noticed it. The blue was a little darker and the pants lied underneath... is that... is that plaster?

I picked up my jeans and they were damp. I scratched at the white and it flaked off, leaving behind a white residue where the plaster had been.

I looked up:


The leak I complained about weeks ago had never been patched up. We had been having more storms and, in my first floor apartment, the ceiling had opened itself up. Or, judging from the picture, unzipped itself.

Slightly panicked, I raced down to the leasing office. Only one girl remained and in front of her a cute boy was filling out an application. His mother sat next to him and his father sat across the room, reading a newspaper.

"Can I help you?" she asked.

"Um," I didn't know if I should be saying this in front of the prospective resident, but I was also a little pissed. "I came down here two weeks ago and complained to you about a leak in my ceiling. It never got fixed and now the ceiling has literally opened up and plaster is falling everywhere."

The mother sat silently, but her eyes widened a good bit. The boy kept his head down while filling out the application, but his brow furrowed and he stuck his tongue out a little bit while trying to concentrate. The father in the corner flipped the page. The office girl froze, sending me a mental "Oh shit."

"We're, uh, having that leak problem you complained about earlier in only your part of the building," she tried to qualify. "It's by the patio door, right?"

"Well, one leak is. But the leak that's dropping bits of ceiling into my apartment is in my kitchen. A third leak has also begun there."

"I need to, uh, call my manager. I'll call you before I close," she said.

The next day I went to work. I'm glad I left the buckets out because it began to rain. Again. Surely more bits of plaster and more water would be making its way into my apartment. I called at noon to check on the status of my apartment, they still didn't know anything, or if it had been inspected yet.

The office girl called me back right before I left work for the day. "We saw the damage. We're having the people who built the building come out and inspect your apartment tomorrow. In the meantime, please feel free to stay in our guest suite."

I declined the offer because of my dog. That's bad, right? I mean when they have to call the people that built the apartment building, and not just a contractor, that means this is serious. She mentioned something about "replacing the ceiling." I can understand replacing carpet, or replacing cabinets, but I've never heard of replacing a ceiling before. That's bad, right?

7 comments:

Momo said...

Well...maybe they're going to have the "people who built the building" foot the bill for the repair. Which is what I guess I would do if they didn't build it to last. Or maybe that's just who they use to do their contract work.

And they had better let Nikita stay wherever they ask you to stay!

aprilbapryll said...

Yeah, depending on how old your apartment building is, they might still have a "warranty" of sorts with the people who built it against such things.

Anonymous said...

Make sure its repaired correctly, in our old place that happened and we were also on the first floor, they just puttied it and let it go. Once drywall gets wet its useless, mold grows and the walls swell. They have to replace it in order to prevent further damage. It sounds like they may have to move you out for a few days, it's not something that can be fixed in a couple of hours. I'm sute they also need to make sure the wiring is ok too, ou don't want a fire from a short.

Anonymous said...

umm, yeah this situation reeks of non-goodness. I love that all this was happening in front of a new potential client hehe.

citizen student said...

sigh.

i won't say those fateful words...

...
...
...

o damnit i gotta say it "it could be worse"

sorry! i know that's tempting fate! i couldn't help myself!
i hope they fix that shiznit. i'd be all up in their pie-holes until they did... my momma done raised me right... ;)

Twisted DNA said...

Hopefully they won't replace the WHOLE ceiling. They should be able to replace the damaged panels. Its a messy business either way... lot of dust and paint. Will probalby take a 3 or so days.

On the bright side, you are in an apartment and soembody will do it for you. I shudder to think if it happens to my house! My being as good a handyman as my 1 year old son won't make the matters any easier!

Just enjoy the guest suite and ask them if they have soem complimentary champagne :)

dont eat the token said...

Dang girl! I haven't been in a situation quite that bad, from the apartment days. Just homeownership.

And you're not even on the top floor either, right? Weird.

Water is probably catching somewhere outside and just funneling inside, above your ceiling. The replacement sounds very messy, maybe they can comp your rent some.

But once they locate the leak, I can only assume and hope for you that it's resolved, once and for all.

Good for you for staying sane!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com