Friday, March 09, 2007

Blink

This was originally written during the Great Blog Break of December, 2006.

The staccato of my right turn signal illuminates the quarrel behind me.

Flash. She's yelling at him.

Flash. He bends over and looks for something between the seats.

Flash. She looks as well, but then stops to holler some more.

Flash. He looks out the window.

Flash. She flips the visor to reapply some lipstick.

Flash. She yells some more.

Flash. He looks out the window.

Flash. He looks out the window.

Flash. He looks out the window.

I wanted to tell them whatever was lost in their Land Rover wasn't worth all the anger. That when she yells like that, her face contorts unflatteringly. That he leans away from her, putting as much physical distance between them that seat belts will allow. I wanted to say it's Friday night and I'm going home alone while they are out together.

I often forget about the downside of having a significant other: the fighting. I have had some knock-down fights in my day. The screaming. The frustration of not being understood. The contempt. The low blows.

The traffic light turned green and I drove home, excited over my evening of laundry and season one of Coupling which arrived in the mail yesterday. They turned left and will look forward to an evening of frustration and contempt.

Actually, it's kind of nice not having someone around to tell me what a piece of shit I am.

5 comments:

Momo said...

Interesting observations you had...

I like the one you said about your going home alone and them having each other. How lucky they are and they don't even know it. I have had those thoughts. Still do sometimes...like when Mike is out of town and I see a couple together (I get kind of jealous...)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dont eat the token said...

I see, your typo there meant to read:

"Actually, it's kind of nice not having someone around to show me what a piece of shit they are."



Great post; I liked the blinker illuminating the snippets of time.

Ryon said...

Some might say it is better to have someone and fight then to just not care anymore.

cantellya said...

Oh I can so appreciate that. When one isn't heard, REALLY heard, one becomes a product of her environment. C-neighbor has a great point.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com