Monday, March 12, 2007

Just a little while longer

"The reservation is at 7:30 at Einstein's. Okay. See you then." I slid my phone shut with The Boy and brushed a wisp of hair away from inside my sunglasses while regaining focus on the road. The Bradford Pears are beginning to bloom. It's the first bloom of the season and also my favorite.

With a careless flick I flipped my turn signal on and turned right onto Piedmont Road from Ponce de Leon. I immediately got out of the right-hand lane because cars are usually parked there this time of day and then I smiled for knowing that.

You did it, a blog friend reminded me last week and the thought repeated through my head until it became a mantra. I did it. I did it. I. Did. It.

I built a nice little life for myself. I wanted a mentally rewarding job, so I went out and got one. I wanted to move into the city--just to see if I could do it alone--so I signed some papers. I wanted friends, and the reservation for dinner is for four. And The Boy? So far he's icing.

I did it.

Nothing has ever come easily for me and subsequently struggle is a constant. There has been a lot of failure and there has been a lot of tears. But everything I ever imagined for myself when I was too young to know what it all meant, I have. It took me a little while longer, but I got it all on my own terms, which is probably the most important accomplishment of my life.

I brushed more hair out of my eyes from the open windows and followed Piedmont Road's path into Buckhead. There my own trusty white steed, my Explorer, made another right onto Lenox.

I wanted some shoes.

7 comments:

The RHS said...

Congrats! Getting there is half the battle. ;)

jon said...

The secret to life is not getting what you want, but wanting it after you've gotten it.

... said...

Congratulations on arriving. :-)

dont eat the token said...

Ooh, I like what Jon said.

I loved the story and your writing. It feels good. :)

Momo said...

Good for you! I feel pride for you...that probably sounds weird, but - you've done it! All on your own. Wow.

There's nothing like doing something your way - and on your terms.

citizen student said...

you give people like me hope...

because people like me, we dream for things and don't see how those things can ever be...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I am very happy for you.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com