Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Of all the people I wish would fall off the face of the earth and die

I swing the door open to an apartment I've never been to before and scream, "Love of my life!" Craig proved third time's a charm for living with men. Of course it helped that we split the rent and had separate bedrooms. And never had sex. Craig is my former roommate and platonic life partner.

Craig was back in Athens and throwing a party right before Christmas. I love these holiday parties in Athens because it's a great reunion for anybody I met during the 6 years I lived there. We all make the Mecca back to school and drink for posterity's sake.

Craig heard my doorway bellowing and turned towards me while I jump in his arms. I miss Craig. I truly, honestly don't know how I made it through the past year without seeing him once. Craig picks me up and swings me around and I survey the party for the first time.

And I lock eyes with someone.

And I have no idea who he is, but I know he has nipple rings.

I wouldn't know he that has nipple rings unless I know him. Unless I know him in a shirts-off kind of way. Craig sets me down on the wood flooring and Nipple Rings and I stare at each other. He smiles, obviously remembering me.

"Hello there. Long time," nods Nipple Rings as he tips his beer towards me.

I swallowed and choked on my own spit. Of course he would remember me. I too would remember the girl I met at a party five years ago where I split a fifth of vodka with her and took her back to my place downtown. There I would get her in my bed... where she would promptly projectile vomit on me and my bedding.

Yup, I would remember her too.

10 comments:

dont eat the token said...

oooooooo nooooooooooooo





I hope he was gracious and didn't bring that up.

Karen said...

That is definitely an awkward situation, but really? This guy has Nipple Rings! I think that must be awkward for him on a daily basis!

Momo said...

That is wonderful that you got to see your friend Craig!

AND - great story! I'm so glad you remembered who he was and told us about it!

Jamie said...

DET- I refused to acknowledge him until he cornered me at the party. I looked at him dead in the eyes and said, "Sorry I threw up on you 5 years ago."

He just bent over and laughed.

Karen- I should have asked him if he still had them!

Momo- Oh it's a painful memory that's only just now funny :)

Anonymous said...

yes, yes... the best way to heal is to laugh at yourself and let others laugh at you...


any more healing stories locked away in there? let them out... i'll start the healing for your if you can't see the humor in them yet ;)

Anonymous said...

Another fine moment made possible by alcohol.

And yeah, I'd remember her too. As it so happens, I have had neither nipple rings nor projectile-vomiting dates. From either side.

Jamie said...

me- Of course I have more embarrassing stories!

CN- You puke on someone ONE TIME and you run into him 5 years later. Why? I've never done anything like that before or since.

For the record, I think the nipple rings were overrated, if not entirely useless on men, but then I was in a half bottle of vodka, so what did I know?

Anonymous said...

Why? Because you did in Georgia, and stayed in Georgia. Particularly in the Athens/Atlanta area. If you'd done it in another state, that would be different. Or another country. Like, oh say, making out with some dude from France, and some guys from Italy knowing about it, but who cares, until 4 years later you're all in the same educational program...

Jamie said...

CN- Oh. My. God. I can't believe that has happened to someone else! International affairs need to stay international. Not come back and haunt you in the states. But that's a story for another day.

The RHS said...

the guy had nipple rings. He's the one who should be embarrassed.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com