Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Chillun

I was at a bookstore over the weekend, knocking my six nieces and nephews off the Christmas list. What was supposed to be children's books, in and out, turned into a several hour expedition.

Lesson: Always read children's books before giving them to other people's children.

The first one was about a dog befriending an old lady that died.

The second one had a picture of the devil (with horns and a tail) that would come take bad children away.

To directly quote the third one, "When you're sixteen, you will go off to war and die." No lie.

The fourth one's main character was a man who was hungry and he ate but was never satisfied so he began eating larger and larger objects until he ate the world. I'd rather not explain what existential crises over consumerism is to 4-year-olds.

I hope y'all will enjoy your Dora the Explorer sticker books. I tried to get y'all something educational, but, omigod, are there some scary books for children out there.

Or maybe that's what I get for trying to buy out of the bargain bins.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should write a nice childrens' book together...about demeaning other children...am I right? :-)

Jamie said...

Yes, I'm sure the bargain bin will welcome the addition!

Anonymous said...

After the "Christian" shoot-em-up video game, I am not remotely surprised. To qualify as a "children's" book, it needs to have pictures and large print and a few pages in a large square or rectangular shape. And be marketed to children. Quality is sooooo not implied.

Next time you want to shop for children, ask me. Or not, you did after all have your own adventure. :-D

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com