Monday, August 21, 2006

Dolores displays smoker's lungs

I hit my testicle quota for the year this weekend.

That's right, I went to the BODIES exhibit. In case you aren't familiar with the BODIES exhibition, they used unclaimed bodies from China and dissected them. One body would display the respiratory system. One would be dissected down to the bones. Another would be dissected down to the muscle. It's supposed to be educational.

Erin's and my reaction to the exhibit was one of comical fascination. We named all the bodies. Instead of reading "This dissection displays fat on the body," we would say, "Agnes displays fat on the body." Yes, we were those people.

We saw a lot. I held a human brain. I saw a brain after it suffered a stroke. Rectal cancer? Check. A uterus is actually much smaller than you think.

However, I present you with my list of

Things That Freaked Me Out at the BODIES Exhibition:

  • Fingernails and toenails. All the bodies still had their fingernails and toenails, even if they were dissected down to their tendons. You could guess a lot about a person with the condition of his fingernails. Ones with bad fingernails was probably homeless, and therefore unclaimed.
  • Bellybuttons. Even if they were dissected to show the digestive system, everything would be stripped away... except for their bellybuttons. The bellybutton would just protrude from the skin, well like a button. It was weird.
  • Eyebrows. I swear they used one set of eyebrow hair for the whole exhibit. Each body had matching eyebrow hair.
  • Eyelashes. The body had no skin, but he still had eyelashes. Gave me the heebie-jeebies.

8 comments:

citizen student said...

don't they all have the same hair anyway?

i would have walked through in fascination and thrown up on the other side.

and then again when i got home that evening.

Jamie said...

Oh, I didn't mention the baby room. That room made me very woozy.

... said...

This exibit just came here and I had this sick facination and wanted to go. I can't find anyone to go with me!

Anonymous said...

Wow, just wow! Seriously speechless on the dissected body display, although I am with TDG and seems like a sick fascination.. one that oddly strikes me.

I want to make the request now for you to continue to do your posts in list fashion. That's all. Thank you.

aprilbapryll said...

Is this the one at the MOSI in Tampa? It's here until September (which would make it almost a year) and I still haven't gotten up off my butt to see it. I want to, I just never think about it.

Jamie said...

TDG- I think if you want to, you should go!

Frog Princess- They have seven of these exhibits nationally, including one in Tampa :)

Anonymous said...

BLECH!!! I couldn't do it. I'm no fan of such marvels.

The St Paul Science Museum has a similar controversial exhibition of bodies. Only they're on display in action, like ballet or running or jumping.

http://www.smm.org/

Donteattoken -- blogger is a bit "down" today and I can't post as a member.

Not my bag, baby.

Jamie said...

Only men were used in sports poses. The women were used either to display fat or sex. It is a bit of a sore subject for me. :)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com