Monday, April 17, 2006

Yeah, I'm pulling the child of divorce card

Remember this? Scratch that.

This isn't my first apartment, even though everyone is acting like it is. This isn't even my second or third place. It's not the first apartment I've had by myself either. This is nothing new to me. With the exception of the last 5 months, this is what I've been used to for the last 6 years.

My parents keep calling me. All. The. Time. I'm getting twice as many calls because I have twice as many parents. Some nights I'll hear from all four of them within one hour. It's exhausting. They want to know if I'm sleeping okay "because of my new place and all." Is it weird, lonely, or unsettling?

No. Not at all. I sleep just fine.

Then they call again. "Are you eating? Do you want me to cook for you and drive it down to you?"

And this is where I sound like a brat. Having your parents cook for you and bring it to you is probably some people's wet dreams. I hate it. I just want to do my own thing. If this is the worst of my problems, then my life must be pretty fucking great.

Here's the thing: I'm an extremely independent person, to the point where I become proud and never ask for help. I like the taste of Hamburger Helper because I made it. I hate the idea of being one of those spoiled girls whose parents do everything for them. I'm turning 25 next week. My other 5 siblings were all married by the time they were my age. They didn't have my parents calling to ask if they are going to work on time, or coming over to drop by food, or to bring crappy ugly lamps into my apartment.

It may be because I'm the baby of the family. But I think it's closer to I'm a *gasp* unwed girl living by myself. My father says things like "When you move next year, you better have a fiance to help you carry some of this shit."

Subtle hint, Dad.

Yesterday was Easter. My father called me on Tuesday and invited me to dinner. As a part of my trying to maintain the relationship, I agreed to go. I really wanted to spend Easter in my underwear, watching the Haley Mills marathon on the Hallmark channel, but whatevs. "Pollyanna" and "The Parent Trap" will have to wait. Then my mother calls on Friday, wanting to know what I'm doing for Easter. I tell her my amended plans. She begins to cry, "But this is your family, not them!" The 20-year-old divorce still rears it's ugly head, and always will I'm suspecting.

She says she'll be all alone. She doesn't know where my brother will be. I can't stand making my mother cry, and I also saw the opportunity to finally be "the preferred child," even if only for a couple of hours, so I told her I would drive over there for lunch.

I spent my Easter watching my mother finish a bottle of wine with the neighbor and gab about how much men suck. My step-father took his cue to leave and took my dog for a walk while I sat at the dining room table and chewed off every single fingernail.

My father kept asking why I haven't been to the cute bakery by my apartment yet. I haven't because I'm driving all over the damn state every weekend to appease my parents, I have yet to spend any time at my place. It was the first year I didn't get an Easter basket. The grandkids all got one and I said since I didn't have any kids, I should have get a basket but they just laughed at me. So no peanut butter and chocolate eggs for me this year.

It's Monday morning and I'm so tired, I'm cranky. I'm glad I live in a gated community so my parents can't pop by and I feel like an absolutely rotten person for thinking so.

5 comments:

citizen student said...

ah the joy of being an adult.

your parents old personalities fly out the window and in place you get to meet the completely insecure, neurotic, self-loathing, self-idolizing etc. etc. etc. people that they truely are.
you know... when the kid glasses come off.

i feel so bad for you... would you like me to send you some penutbutter covered chocolate? or chocolate covered vodka?

if it helps, my mother calls me about 8 bajillion times a day... even if it's just to say, "i'm not in so don't call the house if you need me call me on the cell"
although i'm perfectly capable of figuring that one out on my own

and the marriage thing? don't worry about it... i'm sure you don't but you know... my friend is 25 and she's not married. AND she still lives at home! you've got one up on her;)

Jamie said...

Mmm, my old roommate gave me a box of vodka-filled chocolates that I've been saving for a special occasion. Maybe now is the time to break them out!

I think your mom and my mom would be best friends. That would drive me insane.

Whew, I have one up on her barely!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad, we all look disfunctional because we are the only sane ones left who don't settle into "the norm".

You will find your one when it's right, and you will have fun being the single, independent, fun loving Jamie we all know and love. Life's too short to worry about the small details.

Momo said...

It sucks not getting an Easter Basket. I still miss it. I want to be an adult with all the benefits of being a kid.

My husband's family does a gift exchange at Christmas and we only get one gift. BUT, we buy gifts for all of the nieces and nephews (we don't have any kids yet). And this sounds horrible - but I hate sitting around watching other people's kids open their gifts. I want to ask: Where are MY gifts???? What am I doing here???

Jamie said...

Oh you just unleashed the dragon!

I HATE having to buy Christmas present for my siblings with kids simply because I spend more $$ than they do on me. Same goes for my parents, they buy us presents AND the grandkids presents but I don't receive the same $ amount as my brothers do.

I know, when I have kids my parents will buy them gifts, but my brothers' kids will have years and years of presents under their belts when I simply had to watch...

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com