Thursday, April 06, 2006

Addams Family Values

So it turns out I'm moving tomorrow.

This fell upon me fast.

When I was looking at places last weekend, I told agents I wanted to move April 22nd. I'd have another paycheck coming in and I'd have time to organize myself for the move. The apartment I found had a special and in order to qualify for it, I'd have to take possession by the 14th. No big deal, I thought. I'll just move in the 22nd, because the 14th is Good Friday and no one is going to want to help me move Easter weekend. Then the leasing agent tells me on Monday that she's letting me have my apartment the 7th, tomorrow, at no additional charge. Okay. I revamped my plan to move this Sunday. After talking to my mother last night, she tells me that moving on Friday will be better for their schedule. My father and stepmother admit Friday would be better for them as well.

So I'm taking the day off tomorrow to move.

I am completely not prepared for this.

And if you promise not to tell anyone, I'll admit something to you. I didn't have any time to mentally adjust moving out from my father's house. I'm not only going to miss the home cooked meals, the maid, and driving my father's Mercedes convertible on the weekends, but I'm going to miss him and my step-mom as well. I've never lived with my father before. For the last 5 months, I learned more about him and my step-mom than I knew in my previous 25 years. It turns out they're good people. They were supportive of me with anything I wanted to do with my life. When I decided I'd rather live in Charleston than Atlanta and I went and stayed at the beach house and tried to get a job up there, they were all for it. When I was looking for an apartment here, they wanted to come with me and see what I was looking at, even though I've always chosen where I live on my own. While my mother is having a hernia over me living by myself in downtown Atlanta, my father and step-mother congratulate me. They tell me they're proud of me with everything I've accomplished since the disastrous events of last August.

I get along with them. Not once did they yell at me. Not when I drove over the flower pot or when after a night of drinking I parked my truck against the house.

We became a fixture in each other's lives for the first time ever. I don't want that to end when I move out, and I'm slightly afraid it will. We'll adopt new routines and I'll no longer be invited to the "other" family's outings.

It's going to require an effort on my part as well, one I'm willing to make. Visits with both sets of my parents have an expiration date of 3 hours ever since I was 18. 3 hours and I'm gone, any more time and I start getting anxiety attacks. Since I've been able to establish good memories with my father and step-mother, hopefully I'll feel compelled to visit more frequently and break the 3 hour barrier. I want to with them. I want to feel like a member of a family, even if I do have the Addams family.

5 comments:

citizen student said...

i think it's a fear of mortality...

why? i dunno...

i used to HATE being with my parents, spending time with them. i didn't care about making the effort to get to know them personally.

now that i don't live with them, i miss them... i'm getting to know my father now and he *actually* says i love you... that's big.

i understand you on that level... i'm scared to move away because i'll be losing them sort of... great. now i'm all misty.

Jamie said...

Me too!!

Paige said...

It was so hard to move out of my parents house. I miss all the stuff and I miss them. But, now that I go back and visit, I'm glad I'm out!

Unknown said...

You're moving tomorrow! Oh my sympathies are with you on this one. I hate moving! But once you're all settled down, you'll be loving it.

Be grateful for the opportunity you had to get to know them better, it will help break the 3-hour barrier. I never realized until you said it that I have the same thing going on with my dad. Three hours and I'm out. Weird. I hope you guys can continue with the comfortableness, it's not all that common anymore...

Good luck moving!

Eric said...

Awwww...this means I don't get the case of beer or the manly compliments?! :(

Those first few days of moving out of your parents house are weird, especially if you choose to live without a roommate. It's not so much the new place in that case, but the solitude.

When you live with your folks, there's almost always a guarantee that someone will be around to ask you about your day, sit with you at dinner, and say goodnight to you.

It sucks at first, I wanted to go "home" after I moved into my first ATL apartment, so I could be there one last time as a resident. You get over it, though, and the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com