Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Pimp His Blog

I first met Will Mosher when he was writing editorials for the Red and Black, UGA's independent school paper. Okay, I didn't actually meet him face to face, but I made sure to always read his column when it came out (Wednesdays? Thursdays?). I loved Will's quick wit and how he always left a piece of himself in his writing. I felt like we were already friends and shared the same jokes through reading his column.

Then my day came to work at the Red and Black, I wrote for the variety section and made $7 an article to do great things like interview Butch Walker. I saw Will but never approached him. I figured he was too smart for the likes of me.

From that point, I just couldn't avoid him. This guy was everywhere. I'd go into the basement of the library to read magazines and Will would have his book bag spread open on the next table. I signed up for a Rhetoric, Wit, and Writing class, partly because I knew the teacher was a breeze, partly because I truly wanted to learn to write "funny." Who sat at the desk in front of me? Will Mosher! I spent an entire semester staring at the back of his neck. By then, too much time had gone by and I couldn't possibly say, "Hey man, I've been seeing you everywhere for like a year now." My statute of limitations had passed.

The semester had ended and summer came and went and I thought I had rid myself of Will Mosher. I began dating someone and one night he told me he was going to bring his roommate out with him to go bar hopping with us. I'm sitting at Molly O'Shea's, drinking down my ladies' night 25 cent watermelon jolly rancher when my then-boyfriend walked in, roommate in tow. I looked over his shoulder and I saw him, Will Mosher.

Quite inebriated, I knew I finally had to speak to this guy. I opened my mouth and spewed the previous year's events to Will. I heard his voice for the first time and we laughed at the weird kid who sat next to us in our wit class whom I kept confusing as the lead singer of eLeMeN.O.P.

And then I basically lived with him for the next 6 months through the course of my relationship with his roommate.

And I take full credit for Of Mirth and Matter because, without me, Will would have never met Drew. I think a 5% cut of all proceeds would be a nice thank you, which is probably the equivalent of half a can of Schlitz, but whatevs.

Anyways, Will is a good friend of mine and a very talented writer who still leaves a piece of himself at his blog. It's like I never graduated from school, I'm still sitting on the bench in North Campus, opening up the paper, and reading what Will has to say. Check him out, otherwise you're only hurting yourself.

7 comments:

citizen student said...

sweet

Momo said...

Isn't it funny how things happen like that? What a neat story.

What's in a watermelon jolly rancher? (That's a drink right?) I think I would love it!

Jamie said...

I think it's vodka and watermelon schnapps and maybe a splash of another fruit schnapps like apple. My bartender made it up for me :)

eyes_only4him said...

cute story..just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog today..hope to see ya agian soon:)

Anonymous said...

That is kind of freaky. I guess you guys were just meant to be together in some form. I like it. It makes you wonder about fate though, doesn't it?!

Will said...

Now I feel like I'm going to have to post more often if more than five people are reading it...


(thanks)

Anonymous said...

Yeah Will, you will have to post more often so we can feed off your wity writing ;)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com