Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Goin' to the Home Depot

"I'm an old man, you know. I can't keep helping you move every year," my father says. Sometimes I think he can't wait to grow old. "You need a boyfriend to help you with this stuff. And do better than the last one, you could lift more than he could."

"I tried to bribe someone with a case of beer and showers of manly compliments," I said. "But if that doesn't work out, I can always go down to Home Depot and get a Mexican."

My father chuckles, he knew exactly what I meant. I spoke as if I could go down the aisle and pick one off the shelf and put him in my cart. At the checkout, we'd scoot him over the scanner and then take him home with us.

In reality, you pull into the Home Depot parking lot and take your pick of "migrant workers" standing on every corner in small groups and pay them each $20 to move your furniture. I haven't done it, yet, but my friends have and swear by it.

Go to Home Depot and get a Mexican -- the statement struck me as odd. I'm sure you can also to go Lowes, maybe even a Pike Nursery. Roswell Road will also work. I said it matter-of-factly like it was the easiest thing to do, like it was as simple as taking one of the shelf. The truth is, it is.

10 comments:

citizen student said...

i've heard of that before but i thought it was american folklore...

or well... i guess not... they showed it in "fun with dick and jane" (great movie by the way)

but... like... isn't that cruel? maybe? i dunno.

Jamie said...

I don't see it from being any different than hiring a babysitter or a dog walker.

That's the reason they stand there, they're waiting for work.

citizen student said...

LOL...

hiring a baby sitter or dog walker...

*snicker* i never thought of it that way...

Anonymous said...

I had a friend get some to work for sandwiches. Plus they took home all the junk she didn't want anymore.

Eric said...

So, this puts me on par with migrant workers? Good to know. :(

Jamie said...

LOL- NO!

First of all, I asked you first!

Secondly, I wouldn't buy them beer and shower them with manly compliments.

BTW- your pecs look nice today :)

Thirdly, I'd much rather look at you instead of a migrant worker!

... said...

What Jamie means to say is that you, Eric, work for free. Thus being oh so much better.

I too have heard about this, but I've never seen it. Then again I don't go to home depot that often.

Unknown said...

Why hasn't this come up in the immigration debate? As someone who lives almost as far away from Mexico as anyone in the US, I had absolutely NO clue that this even occurred. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Jamie said...

Me- I saw the clip of "Dick and Jane" last night. Jane said to the Mexican, "Thanks for letting us pay you in appliances," and I busted out laughing.

Anonymous said...

lol, I love how it was written like it was so very matter of fact. The whole thing made me giggle.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com