Monday, June 06, 2005

My job: explained.

I need a post to answer everyone's (thoughtful) questions. So here it is. If you don't care, please skip.

My Current Situation:

Currently, I work customer service for a Chinese-owned restaurant furniture manufacturer. Obviously, customer service is not an ideal job, especially for a college graduate. My father got me the interview because he is an outside sales rep for the company. The plan was I would work there and learn the industry- the glamorous industry of pots and pans and garbage cans-
and eventually go to work for my father on the sales side and, even more eventually, help run the company after my father and step-mother retire.

Oh, and April, we are an absolute riot to go out to eat with. Imagine an adult family at a nice restaurant. My father is flipping the china over to see whose it is, my step-mother is examining the silverware, commenting on how nice/cheap the steak knife is, my brother is tilting the chair to the side to see if it's my company's, and I have my head under the table, peeking underneath the tablecloth. Newcomers are mortified. One time I made my boyfriend stand outside a bar while I had my face pressed against the adjacent restaurant's window. "That's our steak house chair," I comment.

For reasons I do not wish to fully get into, I do not trust my career to my father. I do not want to keep this job that I have begun to loathe and wait helplessly for him to decide that I've proven myself. I don't think he will ever have faith in me when it comes to work. I think he's confused how I was as a teenager to how I will always be, which even as I type seems like a bad excuse. I had 2 jobs all through high school so I don't know what he's thinking.

I have decided on my own to get another job: one that I will be happy with on the chance that my father will never ask me to come to work with him.

My (Hopeful) Future:

My dear friend Jenn from high school found me through this blog and during one e-mail in which I was venting to her about my job, she informed me that there was an opening at her job and she would put in a good word for me. So I sent her my resume and I passed the initial phone interview and have a first meeting interview tomorrow. It's for "reader services" which answers the phones, handles subscriptions, and a little editing. It's an entry-level job in the publishing industry, but it already pays more than my current one. My current crap one. The one I don't want anymore. If my father wasn't involved I'd think of creative ways to get myself fired.

Just kidding.

I'm not that evil.

Yet.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com