Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Book of Jenn and Jamie

In high school I made a very good friend named Jenn. She and I had a lot of shared interests: we both skipped a year of English, were thespians, and knew the same people. But this wasn't what we bonded over- it was our disdain for the same people in our class that made us such good friends.

We developed a note exchanging system comprised of a spiral notebook that we would write in and hand off when we saw each other in the halls. We titled it The Book of Jenn and Jamie. It was filled with the usual: complaints about teachers, gossip about boys, etc. There was also a list. It was titled Hit List and it was pages and pages of people we didn't like. There was one girl we disliked so much we kept repeating her name in there every few spaces.

I was a little worried about the notebook if someone found it, but it was more of a Harriet the Spy worried, as in everyone-will-hate-me-if-they-found-out-what-I-wrote-about-them-in-this-notebook. We never considered getting into any real trouble over it.

Eventually the notebook thing phased out. One of us would forget to bring it to school, etc. I think I still have it in my bookshelf at my mother's house. Our senior year, Columbine happened. Jenn sat in front of me in Economics. She turned around and mouthed to me, "Thank God we don't have that book anymore." I knew what she was talking about. Right after Columbine, students couldn't wear long coats anymore, FCA was canceled because of bomb threats, school became optional several days that year because of threats. My mom was also a teacher in the same county and called me a few times, telling me not to go to school that day because she heard something I didn't. One day we actually had to stand in the parking lot of our school for over 3 hours because an art student wrote, "Don't touch, bomb inside!" so no one would damage/take it. The GBI and bomb squad showed up. I got out of a cum test in calculus.

School became really unbearable after that point, but Columbine transpired in late April and we were graduated early June, so the seniors didn't have to deal with it that long. I heard that the threats didn't occur on college campuses because people paid to go there, ergo they didn't entertain ideas of killing everybody. And that's the way it was in college: the most tragic thing that hit our campus was September 11th.

We've both thought back about that notebook. We were both socially accepted honor students with plenty of friends, but we shared a bit of a dark side. For the record, we didn't even do so much as pull that girl's hair that we really didn't like. It was both entertainment as well as a coping mechanism. We're not bad people. If that notebook surfaced today, we'd be suspended in the very least and be interviewed by both psychiatrists and police. It's things like this that piss me off today.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! Don't forget, we had quotes and questions of the day, too! For example, if you made someone drink a lot of jello before it gelled and then killed them by putting them in one of those industrial freezers, what would happen to their stomach when they died? Or, if crayons are made of wax, why can't you color with a candle? And, "Leave your socks on this time!!!"
Some non-specific, not-going-to-get-me-arrested entries from our hit list... people who throw pennies (does anyone even do that anymore?)... the 12 year olds who hang out at Starbucks on Saturday night (where are their parents?)...
and one day, Jamie wrote an entire essay about simplifying the English language, incorporating her ideas into the essay. By the end of the last page, you couldn't even read it- the "w"s were replaced with "v"s, there were no silent "e"s, etc. It sounded like Count Dracula's writing primer.
My all-time favorite was the story...with the Ben and Jerry's loving ex-girlfriend, stomping boots, doom troopers, and Jamie and Jenn ending up living in a phone booth while the no-longer-trenchcoat-wearing-due-to-Columbine friend became an international sex-symbol and shunned us. In real life, he delivers my pizzas now.

Jamie said...

Holy shit, I completely forgot about ALL of that. Now I vaguely remember about the kids who hang out in Starbucks. The stories! How could I forget? We sit on the phone for hours and weave sumo wrestlers into them!

The simplifying of the English language. Wow. We were destined to be English majors. What dorks.

How wrong we were about HIM becoming a metrosexual sensation!

I'd like to start a new list and title it "People who showed up drunk to prom."

Jamie said...

Now that I think about it, metrosexual wasn't even a word back then. What was he, just bi?

Anonymous said...

Hah- he did blow-dry his hair straight every day before he discovered there was enough hair gell in the world to make him look greasy 24-7. He was bi- but I like to call it "psuedo-sexually ambivilant, but quirky enough to seem really attractive to a young, naive girl who actually thought that she could convince him he totally liked girls." How much of a cliche was I? It's a good thing that I am prettier than Jenna Malone and that you didn't have Mandy Moore's penchant for throwing bibles...

Anonymous said...

A few more thoughts... Shortly after (I'm talking a week, maybe?) Columbine, the school secretary came over the intercom and announced, "Attention, Teachers and students, there is a man in the hallway with a..." (at this point, half of the school is under their desk, the other half have passed out or peed their pants) "..." (the longest pause in the world) "device to test the fire alarms..." I have never wanted to strangle someone so badly in my entire life!
Also, in case you didn't get it, the Mandy Moore thing was a reference to the movie "Saved." But I'm sure you got it...
And, I think we should write a book together, Jamie! A real one. I think we had a certain flair for it.

..."Jamie's brother, will you froth my milk? I can't work the espresso machine and Young Frankenstein is on!"

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jamie said...

I remember that! "At this point, half of the school is under their desk, the other half have passed out or peed their pants" was the exact reaction!

Oh Jenn- you haven't heard my college stories yet. Apparently alcohol makes stupidity worse...

Paige said...

You all have GOT to unearth that book and do entries in your blog!

Ryon said...

Good post.

I agree with Paige. Unearth that MF and post some stuff. Hell, make it another blog even.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com