Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Blood's thicker than water, unless your brother is an asshole

My birthday is this weekend and the family traditionally congregates and to take me out to dinner. Usually I'm depressed because someone just broke up with me. (My dad thinks boys break up with me right before my birthday because they don't want to buy me a present.)

About a week ago I found out that my brother wouldn't be there this year because he's vacationing that weekend. He didn't tell me to my face; he told my mother. Then I found out that he is visiting his wife's brother. On my birthday.

I was mad: he didn't tell me this to my face and he said no other weekend was convenient to get together. This isn't the first time this has happened and he lives an hour away.

My dad asked who was going to dinner and I didn't mention his name. He asked if he was going. Dad was upset (surprisingly) that he wouldn't be there and mentioned something to my brother the next time they spoke.

Last night my brother calls. I suspected he was trying to see if we could get together during the week to celebrate. I didn't want to talk to him or meet with him so I let my voicemail get it. Instead he leaves this threatening message:

This is your brother and I want to know why you are sicing the family on me.
He might have said something else but I quit listening. I'm not even going to defend his statement because I know the truth and don't feel like I have to.

I would tell you that I plan on missing his birthday this year because I'm expecting a really good bowel movement that day, but his birthday falls on Father's Day. So the family will have a party to celebrate both.

I called my cousin and told him my brother wouldn't make my birthday this year and I was hoping he could take his place. I left him 2 messages. A week ago. I called my pregant step-sister crying last night and she said she and her husband will go, so it won't just be me, Matt, and my parents.

I hope she isn't offended I called her third, but she's busy with her job, husband, and pregnancy so I see her a couple times a year. She also lives an hour away.

Did I mention that there are 6 of us? 6 children? 1 will probably be there and I think the only reason is because I was crying.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Why yes I am, do you know something that I don't?

Ryon said...

I think vhmsays has a point. When you are the youngest the older siblings always resent you. You are the baby. You were the one that got the most attention. You stole mommie and daddy away from them. I am the youngest and my brother always flakes on me. Hell, he did not even make it to my wedding and I wanted him to the be the best man! Older siblings just have issues with us. However, your brother does still suck. And how.

Paige said...

Hey, thanks for leaving me a guestbook message, and happy birthday!

That being said, your brother sucks ass and you can tell him everyone says so. He isn't cool. Birthdays are special, and I HATE when people don't give them the proper respect.

I hope you have fun regardless...at least your parents aren't flaking!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com