Friday, August 28, 2009

Pay to Play

My mother was not happy I bought a lottery ticket tonight.

"Why did you buy that?" she asked as I waved the ticket in front of her.

"Uh, 333 million dollars," I scoffed.

"Do you really think you're going to win 333 million dollars?" she mocked back.

"No, Mom," I explained. "It's not about the money. It's about having the possibility. Having the fantasy. Having the dream. Without the ticket, there is no possibility for the fantasy, but with it, you earn the right to dream."

My mother said nothing and looked away. I don't think she understood my point.

***

I called CJ to see if I had the winning ticket. I sighed, "Looks like I'm going to work on Monday."

"Sorry babe, I only won $7. I won't be able to support your lifestyle," he consoled.

I laughed, "Sure you can. You can take me out for an ice cream cone."

"Sounds good to me."

And maybe that's why I've been hurt so many times, but continue to throw myself back out there. Because, to me, it's always worth a dollar to dream.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com