Wednesday, November 29, 2006

So here's the skinny

The Christmas party is this Saturday.

And I had two offers from perfectly eligible men to take me.

And I turned them both down.

Somewhere between my October freak out and the past couple of weeks, dating lost its fun. I put a lot of pressure on myself to score a date for the party, and here's the problem: you can't just take anybody when he will be introduced to the people that sign your checks every month. He can't just be a random date; he has to be someone you're dating.

All of a sudden, I found myself at the beginning stages of relationships for the wrong reasons. I have never in my life been with someone for the sake of not being alone. I think I may have been that escape for a few boyfriends, and to know that you're nothing more than a filler-- a time filler, a sex filler, an emotional filler-- is absolutely crushing to both the spirit and the self-esteem. Nothing hurts me more than to know I was never special. I have too much integrity to inflict that upon someone else.

So I have revised my plan:

James' Plan:
  • Score a date to the Christmas office party.
  • Get drunk and make out with a stranger on New Year's Eve.
I feel much better about my new plan. I am nothing if not a girl with goals.

17 comments:

Momo said...

I like that goal! Makes for a very exiciting New Year's Eve! ;0)

Anonymous said...

Hey...that's my plan!

Seriously, bringing a "date" to the Christmas Party blows. You have to spend all your time trying to entertain them instead of getting housed with your Co-Workers.

Plus, if you actually like them...your co-workers might scare them off.

Karen said...

Getting drunk and making out with a random? Thats a FUN attainable goal! I also wish my staff parties were even half as much fun as yours will be.

Anonymous said...

Goals are good.

Especially when the involve drunken sex. ;)

Steve~

Jamie said...

Momo- I like that goal too!!

Eric- Too bad we know each other, we could have helped each other out in that department. Nah ;)

Karen- I haven't done that in at least 3 years, I'm kinda excited about it!

Steve- Goals are good. Too bad the same can't be said about drunken sex :X

Jamie said...

Eric- you said housed LOL!

Anonymous said...

Aim high. Get drunk and make out with a cute stranger.

Jamie said...

I'll top that Robin-- a cute hetero male stranger!

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, dates aren't any fun to bring to a company christmas party. hell, I've been with Sam for 4 years and I'd still rather go alone! Otherwise, you spend all of your time making sure that your date is doing alright instead of just socializing...

And the New Year's goal is great!

The RHS said...

Another situation where I recommend the traveler's pint. In both cases. Just drink till everyone is witty and good-looking!

dont eat the token said...

Excellent idea! I've used that life plan a couple times in my past.

Maybe someone will bring a handsome intrigue to the office party and you'll find out he's just her cousin...

I hope that you have a lot of fun and don't worry: everyone else is worried about their halitosis, their toenail fungus and their flakey scalp. You'll just be stunning.

Jamie said...

Mesabi- I have selfish tendencies, this is all looking very good for me :)

RHS- Traveler's pint!? Puh! They will be providing the booze!

DET- I feel really good about my decision; I'm sure I'll have a blast!

The RHS said...

Hopefully your company is more generous than mine is. We got two drink tickets last year. TWO! What the hell!??!?!?!??!?!

Maybe you should be the person that brings her good-looking cousin! =D And ignore the naysayers - that would be fucking awesome!

Jamie said...

Drink tickets? WTF?

We've always had open bars. :) :) :)

The RHS said...

there any openings?

Anonymous said...

Drink tickets? How amazingly lame is that!

Naw, we'd revolt, and we're small enough that it'd have an impact.

On the other hand, we're small enough that the likelihood of "someone" bringing a "cute cousin" that we don't already know about - very slim indeed.

aprilbapryll said...

We have our office Christmas party tonight too. Ours is a cash bar, because I work for an insurance company and they are mighty worried about liability. However, this does not preclude anyone from getting smashed.

I am bringing the fiance, but I don't usually bother to entertain him, just introduce him to people I'm talking to that he doesn't know and let him roam. He knows a few people there, and he can talk to them all night if he wants :)

Oh, and I know he's not a stranger, but you could make out with Office Boyfriend/Husband, unless that would make your relationship awkward :)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com