Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Does this mean I can say "bugger" now that I know people who do?

I was on the phone over the weekend with my Australian boyfriend (I've made it a goal to establish contacts on other continents in case, you know, I ever need to leave the country in a rush. I keep my passport in my purse already for this very reason) and we start playing what if. What if I ever made it to Australia-- what we would do, where we would go. What if he took an assignment in the States and was able to visit me, etc.

I say, without a doubt, he would have to see the most redneck thing I know of in Atlanta: Stone Mountain.

I sit down at the computer and send the link over to him.

"Good lord," he chokes. "What is wrong with you people?"

"What do you mean?" I didn't even get a chance to tell him about the sordid history of the mountain and the Klan. For instance how the KKK used to burn crosses on top of the mountain so everyone around could see.

"You see a mountain and you just start chiseling away at it! What is with your need to carve shit into things!?"

Mount Rushmore, Stone Mountain: he has a point.

"I mean if I ever showed this to an Australian, he would be outraged!"

"It's art?"

"You vandals!"

He zooms over to Wikipedia and begins reading its entry. There he learns how the KKK commissioned the carving of the "bloody horsemen" on the side.

"Those are Civil War heroes," I half-laugh.

"Bloody horsemen!" he repeats incredulously. "1972!? It was finished in 1972? You have no excuse for this!"

"Wait for it. Wait for it." And I send him this. I tell him how they play God Bless America while illustrating it with lasers on the side of the mountain.

He guffaws.

I never really thought about it, but there really aren't any huge carvings in other areas of the world. And I had never considered others' reactions to ours.

"Seriously, y'all should get into carving in mountains. You have some big rocks!"

"We have Uluru," he says. "I'm sure the local people would let us whities chisel a representation of Steve Irwin into it."

7 comments:

dont eat the token said...

LOL x2.

I took a peek at the site for the park and didn't think it was that bad at all. Then you mention KKK and I'm not a fan. Then you mention lasers and I'm pretty much never going to go there ever.

My friend visited London and France and stuff and came back with a large carving of a ferocious lion in the side of a rock wall.

The Portly Gentleman in Aisle 5 said...

If God loved the tractor pulls, he would wear that mountain as a belt buckle to them.

Jamie said...

Chuck- I'm pretty sure they already sell that in belt buckle form.

Actually I'm almost positive they do :)

aprilbapryll said...

My uncle and fam lives in Stone Mtn, so when I visited them we made the obligatory drive over to see it ... an interesting time, if only for the historical "value", etc. We made the hike up to the top, my aunt told us about the laser shows, and then ... we walked back down. All in all, a fairly uneventful outing. We did get to go to the REI though, and they don't have those down here so that was neat :)

Ryon said...

Ah, Stone Mountain....now I remember why I left GA.

citizen student said...

no. you cannot say bugger because it's an offensive word... ;)... or so i was told by my english teacher in high school...

aussie boyfriend?
what have i been missing?!

Jamie said...

He explained it to me- it's a very dirty word indeed :)

He found me through my blog. I knew it was good for something.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com