Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sight, sound, and gray matter

It's raining outside.

Scratch that. It's storming outside. The thunder rolled in and lightning is peeking through the gun metal clouds. The lightning flashes directly above me, but not in the horizon. I don't know if I've ever seen that before.

The rumbling stirs me from my peaceful spot in my bed. I was indulging in a piece of chick lit, but couldn't turn off my analytical brain long enough and I was soon scribbling notes in the back pages. Sight. Sound. Gray matter.

The storm comes in and I know what I have to do. I turn off all the lights and light every candle. I open the blinds. Sight.

Then I turn off the quietly humming air conditioner and open all the windows. Sound.

I place a call to the people I was supposed to be going out with tonight. No, I will not be making it out; it's storming. Yes, I am a chicken shit. Gray matter.

It's been awhile since I've been able to enjoy a storm and I'm taking my chance tonight. I'm about to turn off this computer so I can sit in the dark with my martini and blanket.

Storms are a lot more enjoyable when there's not a hole in your ceiling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love storms too, I could watch one brew for hours!

citizen student said...

stop making me suffer through these four more weeks.

ARGH. four! FOUR!

i have a knot in my chest.

what else did you do this weekend?

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com