Thursday, February 02, 2006

Why I hate the po' po'

If I actually answered that question, I would be talking for 3 days straight. Then I would stop talking, not because I ran out reasons why I hate the po' po,' but because my throat would hurt and I would eventually be bored by the topic.

I could totally make this a week long ordeal.

For today, I'll stick with the most recent reason why I hate the po' po.'

Saturday night I go to bar hopping in Athens. I've been drinking there for half a decade; I know a thing or two about what you can and cannot get away with. For instance, you can totally park in motorcycle parking, block driveways, and fire hydrants. The police will tell you themselves that they won't do anything because it means more people will park downtown and then drive home. This will lead to an increase of DUIs which is where they make their money.

I should have parked in motorcycle parking or blocked a fire hydrant.

Instead I park in a bus terminal. This is not uncommon on the weekends because the buses don't run on Sundays. I squeeze into a place between a truck and a yellow curb. I verify with my passengers, "It's cool to park here, right?" The general consensus was that I was fine.

I was not fine.

I was parked at an angle, matching every other car on the block. Even though my truck did not touch the yellow curb, my truck overlapped the curb at a perpendicular angle.

This is how the police explained it to me when I asked why my truck got towed.

My friends told me to go inside the police station and get a phone book to call the impound lot. I said they must be crazy if they think I'm walking into a police station drunk- they would never see me again because I would be arrested for public drunkenness. We call the impound lot and the 24 1/2 hour towing service is closed. I can come in the morning and pay an extra $30 for having it in the lot overnight, which makes no sense to me because we didn't even get downtown until after midnight, so it's same day.

Whatever.

I'm not going to deal with this.

We go the next morning and pay the 2-toothed man $100 for my truck. I get to my truck and taped to the windshield is a parking ticket.

This seems like an awful lot for someone who wasn't even touching the yellow curb.

3 comments:

Ryon said...

Certain police will tell you things and it may be even known as a general rule of thumb, but it does not mean it is always the case.

I work for a company that tows vehicles all the time from private streets. I have talked to a number of police officers about us towing vehicles for people who are blocking their own driveway...although we have no way of knowing this. Nevada law says you can't block a driveway, so we tow 'em. Anyway, most of the po po say we are not in the right to do this. However, we just won a court case because a judge said the law is the law. The guy who's vehicle we towed was pissed and said and I quote, "Buy my neighbor you works for the police said I was fine and that I should stay parked there because I would win in a court case and that this would teach them a lesson." The judge said, "Well, now you know not to believe everything you hear and to believe what the Nevada Revised Statue actually says."

To make a long story short (TOO LATE), when you have a shred of doubt about if something is legal or not...don't do it. If given the chance they will fuck you and not even have the courtesy to give you a reach-around.

... said...

Effing Police. Hate em.

Eric said...

Hey, look at me...I didn't learn from Jamie's mistake:

http://ericrace.blogspot.com/2006/02/piece-of-advice.html

:(

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com