Monday, January 16, 2006

Saturday night in bizarro world

I'm out with this guy Saturday night and he and I end up in some bizzaro drinking contest over who can drink the most beer the fastest. I didn't eat all day and matched him drink for drink until the suitcase is gone. This is crucial for the rest of the story:

We essentially get kicked out of our friend's apartment because it got late. I have no idea what time it is, but I'm guessing somewhere between midnight and 1 am. He and I end up walking around the streets of Atlanta with no real destination, both of us being too drunk to understand the other about where we were going. We managed to corner ourselves in a parking lot by the Fox Theatre. When we turn around to try and get out of the parking lot, a panhandler approaches us and begins to ask for some money.

My usually response is to tell him that I don't carry any money on me and just keep walking. I open my mouth to say this but the guy I'm with cuts me off. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out his money and picks out a dollar bill, wobbling the entire time. The next events are completely crazy because I had never seen anything like it before in my life.

He tells the panhandler to back up. 2 empty car spaces to be exact. The panhandler doesn't say a word and obliges, moving back 2 car spaces. Then he orders the guy to stand in the corner of the 3rd space. Once again he silently obliges. The guy I'm with then takes the dollar bill, throws it on the ground for the panhandler and turns and walks away.

I can't believe he just did that. I can't believe I just saw him throw the money on the ground for the panhandler to pick up. I start apologizing for the guy I'm with and try to walk over to pick the money up. "What are you doing?!" he shouts at me and yanks me along with him. I resist and try to go back to the panhandler and the guy just grabs me and begins to run. I'm stumbling to keep up and shout back over my shoulder, "I'm sorry he's so rude, I would have handed you the money!"

And then he and I laugh uncontrollably over what just happened. I don't know why we were laughing, but I've never been in that situation before in my life, it was a complete alien experience for me. When we got back to his place, he explained things to me. In the end I think he was right, we weren't in that great of a situation: we were drunk and cornered in an empty parking lot late at night. I still can't believe he just threw the money on the ground like that.

1 comments:

... said...

Dude, what a dick. I don't care how drunk he was!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com