Monday, July 18, 2005

New kid at school

Today was my first day at my new job and I absolutely love it. It's in a real office building where I get a security card and keys to the office. Not only is there an elevator in the building , but there is also a freight elevator for people who carry boxes, etc. The building doesn't want the carrying of boxes to be seen by the rest of the offices. These are all firsts for me, but then again, this is also my first job in a major city.

I think my favorite thing about the job is the staff. There are a lot of girls my age working there. They all wear their designer clothes with their matching purses and go out and each lunch together. At my last job, I was the only person there under forty and work was often missed to get their boyfriends out of jail. Some of the other girls were also English majors and while we were eating lunch, we all declared we liked knowing other people with the same major. "So this is what English majors do after college!" we said. I guess were a rare breed, often forced to find jobs that have nothing to do with our schooling if we don't automatically become a teacher.

I sit at the front desk and answer phones, but I also manage subscriptions to the magazine and organize leads to give to the advertisers. I think it is technically a lower position than my last job, but it's definitely more money. I'll also have a chance to move up from this position, which will mean even more money. I'm having a difficult time getting over sitting at the front desk, but hopefully I'll get over it. I think it will depend on if people treat me like a receptionist or not.

Right now, I'm completely occupied at work, so I won't have a chance to be as involved as I was for a week or two until I get my things moved here from Athens, but I'll be checking in!

4 comments:

Paige said...

why are you sitting at the front desk????

Jamie said...

In addition to my duties, I also fulfill the receptionist duties, blah.

Ryon said...

Jamie, what's happening? Listen, I'm going to need you to go a head and come in on Saturday, okay? Yeah, and while you're at it could you hold my calls, thanks.

Paige said...

Oh Razertuc, back again? This is getting really old.

Anyway, Jamie, you have to do the Real World Advice for me this week! I know you won't forget! :-)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com