Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Great Murphy

I've become something of a superstitious dater. At first I just thought of them as rules: don't give them your last name until the third date, don't save their numbers into your phone until the fourth date is planned, etc. But they have since crossed the realm of silly rules to Gumperson's Law:

The probability of anything happening is in inverse ratio to its desirability.

A boy was supposed to call me to confirm our date last week. At 4 p.m. the day of scheduled date, I got into such a foul mood over work that I got angry and deleted all of his numbers and e-mails.

And, I swear, less than 5 minutes later the number I just deleted called to confirm.

A boy was supposed to come over on Sunday night for some awesome TV watching. I saved his number into my phone earlier that afternoon as this would be our fourth time together. Surprise, he doesn't call and I thought, That's what I get for putting his number in my phone. So I deleted him from my life before going to bed.

At 9:30 the next morning, my phone rings with the generic ring tone so I let it go to voicemail. It was the boy, apologizing that his nap lasted until 3:19 a.m.

I don't think I'm ever going to save another guy's number in my phone again. I just want to know how boys and exes know to not come back until you're fed up.

2 comments:

dont eat the token said...

big ponder. makes my head hurt a little. i need a drink.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you've found a use for those cynical rules of the universe. :-D

You can become completely paranoid and superstitous, and it will rule your life, or you can say screw it, put his number in now, and see what happens.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com