Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Prom and Taxes

I took a sip from my pint of beer and grabbed a napkin from the center of the table. With the back of my hand I wiped my lips and pulled my pen out of my purse. I took the pen to the napkin and then balled it up and tossed it at The Boy seated at the other end.

He was mid-conversation with someone else, but opened the napkin and laughed, shaking his head.

Boy,

Will you go to prom with me?

[] Yes

[] No

[] Maybe

It may have seemed like a silly question, but I was, in fact, serious. My friend and I decided to throw a joint birthday party--a prom-themed one. The idea came up at dinner a few weeks ago when I said I saw the prom dresses out in stores and I just wanted to put one on and twirl. The guys already have tuxes and spiking some punch seems easy enough.

The Boy picked up a pen off of a receipt and answered before pitching it back to me.

Boy,

Will you go to prom with me?

[] Yes

[] No

[X] Maybe -- When is it?


"MAYBE?!"

"Well when is it?"

"You were right there when we decided the date."

"I wasn't listening."

"MAYBE?!"

"It was a valid option! Why'd you put it there if it wasn't?"

"Because seven-year-olds don't give ultimatums!"

"You didn't even sign it. How do I know who it's from?"

"You saw me throw it at you!"

He leaned to our friend, "It's best to see how mad she gets early on."

"I'm going to keep this napkin for future reference."

"Somehow that doesn't surprise me at all."

Frustrated, I grabbed a fresh napkin.

Boy,

Will you go to prom with me on April 15th 14th?

[] Yes

[] No :*(

X James

"I can't read the date."

"Yes you can."

He scribbles on the napkin and then laughs, obviously very pleased with himself.

Boy,

Will you go to prom with me on April 15th 14th? --Please clarify

[] Yes

[] No :*(

X James

I flipped the napkin over and wrote furiously. This time when I threw the napkin back, I aimed.

I KILL YOU!


To which he replied,

I KILL YOU!

[] Yes

[X] No

6 comments:

dont eat the token said...

Ahh, shit-eating grin here - Love that last retaliation on his part!

aprilbapryll said...

so funny!

could be because I'm drunk though.

Prom night is the night before my wedding. Yay!

The RHS said...

I was always led to believe the best part of prom was afterwards.

so you all gonna' get some sadsack loner to look through the window and cry?

Momo said...

Woooo, that was too funny!

So cute!

Anonymous said...

So this is the Date Dude, right?

I like him already.

Jamie said...

Don't Eat Token- Yeah, he's good with the banter.

Frog Princess- Yea! for your wedding! I thought it was hilarious too, though I was also drunk at the time.

The RHS- Yeah that role is usually taken by me...

Momo- I thought so too!

Cubicle Neighbor- Actually, my date is someone completely different. :S

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com