Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Day the Blonde Died

"Let's just blend the roots this time," I offered to my colorist on Ash Wednesday.

"No," she said. "Let me grab a swatch. I'll be right back," and waddled off. She returned with a palette full of goth blacks with clown red hues, "What do you do for a living?"

I was repulsed by the swatch palette. "I work for a software company; I can't do that. Besides black is not me. It's not me at all." I looked ahead into the mirror to admire the blonde. I've been blonde since I was 18 and the only Georgia Tech student I ever dated dumped me because he only dates blondes, not redheads. I grabbed the bleach bottle just to spite him. He tried coming back after the switch, but the damage was done.

My colorist dropped the scary black swatches and pushed one full of reds towards me. "What about going red?"

"I was a redhead for seven years. I'm over it." I dropped my chin and studied my crown--the natural hair color was much longer than I anticipated. A level three brown, I've learned from years of coloring. It's hard to get hair that dark to blonde, but it's possible.

It's a battle I fight every time I sit in the Aveda chair. They don't want me to be so hard on my hair. I like what comes with being blonde. Having been every color on the hair spectrum, I know that blondes are treated differently. Blonde hair lightens the face and its features, making us appear happier and perkier. Brown is just so... Yankee. Yankees have brown hair and they aren't nearly as easy going as we are.

To shut up my colorist, I grabbed the blonde swatch she was hiding underneath all the others. I pointed to one of the darker ones. "What about that, with highlights?"

"No. I want something for you that will bring out your eyes."

"Er, my eyes are almost black."

"I know, that's why I wanted you to go black!" She grabs the scary black swatches and waves them in front of me again.

"Seriously, I'm not doing that. My skin is too fair."

She waddles back to the station and grabs more palettes. This time she returns with a dark chocolate. I didn't know why she was arguing with me. It's my head and my money. My head was already pounding from Fat Tuesday. The phantom baby made its first appearance and began kicking me, giving me sharp abdominal pains. Honestly, I just wanted to go home and sleep. And the only way to do that was to stop arguing with the Satanic colorist.

"Fine, whatever."

And the blonde in me died.

She pulled the gown off me and already I looked more serious. Less jovial. Less funny. Less.

And the reactions at work? Not good. Everyone wants to know who the new employee is.

It's the less version of me.

12 comments:

The Portly Gentleman in Aisle 5 said...

Come on now, no picture? Let's see the Yankee Jamie!

Momo said...

We need a pic!!

I'm sure you look great.

BUT - if you want to go back to blonde - do it!! I'm mad at that lady for pressuring you!

P.S. I hope you feel better. Have you been to the Dr.?

aprilbapryll said...

I love being a redhead. I've rarely been anything else since 8th grade.

citizen student said...

i've brown hair... i like it. hurumph.

i'd look too much the harlot with blond hair... yes... the trashy trailer park harlot with tight acid wash jeans and bulky over-sized feather down jacket.

however, black makes me look spanish.

but enough about me... pictures! please! my imagination is bubbling over

Robin said...

Give it a week and see how you feel then.

Momo's right, though, it's your hair - what was she doing arguing with you?

... said...

Damn Yankees. Dye it back! Who cares? Just go to a different stylist who doesn't argue with you!

Jamie said...

Chuckieeverdapper- Yankee Jamie isn't as fun. For instance she has a much lower tolerance of alcohol.

Momo- Today was the first day the phantom baby wasn't angry with me :)

Frog Princess- I liked it too, but then people kept telling me they preferred blondes.

Me- I can do pictures Friday night when I go out :)

Robin- It's a little better. It's much lighter after a few washings.

Two Drink Girl- Yeah! Life is better blonde!

dont eat the token said...

Great post and great stress. UGh! I don't know what life is like in the stylist's chair. I stopped perming in the 10th grade so it's been awhile since I've been in one.

I haven't clicked on your profile pic yet but you look gorgeous! Is that the new color? Me likes!

Anonymous said...

YANKEE?!?!?!?! OMG I am going to go cry in my yankee corner! Boo hoo the southerner hates me :( lol. No seriously I would have gotten out of the chair and told her to go fuck herself.. it's your hair, your money, and your decision!

J MacKenzie said...

"and waddled off" LMAO...

Ryon said...

My wife is a brunette and she always has loved it. She went blond once and it had the exact opposite effect for her. Everyone said she looked too different and she did not get as much attention. Strange I know, but even though the coloring job was done very well and not too blond she is just one of the few who cannot pull it off. Besides I have always been a brunette or red head guy my entire life, so I guess we both win.

Anonymous said...

It looks much better last time I saw it. Friday. After being washed.

Hey, you ok today? You left early.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com