Monday, May 22, 2006

Behold, my barstool

"Your apartment looks sad."

Christopher and I were sitting on my couch eating cake.

"Don't say that, I love my apartment."

"No, you have a really nice apartment. It's just..." He gets up and walks to my kitchen and picks up my barstool, "you only have seating for one." He leans over the counter and picks up my placemat, "You only have a placemat for one." He returns to the couch and shakes the TV tray we were sharing because I only have one, "You're only living for one."

"So what, you live by yourself!"

"Yes, but at least I have 2 barstools! Having one is sad!"

"97% of the time I'm in this apartment, I am by myself. Why should I spend money on things I'm not going to use?"

"You have to be open to the possibilities of more than one person," he says.

"My apartment isn't big enough for 2 people to cohabitate."

Christopher gives me a look; he hates it when I don't use "everyday" language. He says it's pretentious.

"Well your lifestyle says you aren't open for that possibility."

I wish I could say that having this conversation made me call up my father to get me a duplicate barstool, but it didn't. If anything, it made me proud that I only have one barstool and one place setting. I'm not living under the presumption that there will be someone else. It's just me and I'm more than fine with that.

My cynicism has reached new levels this year, levels that scare the hell out of me at times. Sometimes I'll hear what's coming out of my mouth and I'll think 'Who is this person? And what the hell happened to her that makes her think this way?'

There are downsides for the life I've chosen: I hate having to drag my barstool around my apartment so I can reach things on the top shelf and I can't buy things that I can't carry by myself. I bought a new TV stand, a nice one from IKEA. My father was with me to help me drag the box inside my apartment, but after I put it together, it sat in the middle of my living room for a week because I couldn't move it or my TV. I finally made some phone calls to get someone to come over and help me with it and I had to deal with, "What, you don't have anyone that can move it for you?"

I hate that.

Not to mention I would like it moved six inches to the left, but there's no way in hell that's ever happening because I'm not making those phone calls again.

But those are not good enough reasons for me to want more. I don't want to compromise on what to eat for dinner. I don't want to share my bed. My life is full enough as it is that I don't need some man to tell me I'm beautiful to make my it fuller.

Every once and awhile I wish I was wrong: I wish there is someone out there that could change my mind. Christopher would prove not to be that man. He would disappear before the following month without so much as an explanation and my life would continue very much the same.

But I only wish to be wrong every once and awhile. Like when I'm teetering on top of my barstool trying to put my pasta pot back on the top shelf.

12 comments:

The Portly Gentleman in Aisle 5 said...

You've still got the dog, right? As long as you don't collect cats and Hummels like they are going out of style, you should be alright.

Jamie said...

Just me and my dog. I'm going for the hip, eccentric path

... said...

Do you think if you strapped the dog to the TV tray and said "mush!" that it would move those last six inches?

Jamie said...

TV tray = yes.

TV stand = no.

Momo said...

Good for you! I admire your independence.

I work with a bunch of ladies and I'm always getting advice on what to buy, how to do this or that. I'm sorry, I have no idea what it takes to throw a "proper" party. I don't have 12 place settings. It took me a couple of years to get 8. I have four chairs at my table. And I can still have a party and people have fun even if we have to sit on the floor. Hmph!!

citizen student said...

i'm probably the opposite about the whole "one" thing... even if i lived by myself i'd fill my house as if four people lived there... cuz it's always been like that... i wouldn't be sad... i just like how it looks. duplicates and quadruples...
plus i like to have people over to admire my stuff (i'm a stuff whore) and the more stuff the more admiration of me!

rock on sista girl. rock on.

Jamie said...

My mother tried to give me a complete set of china: platters, cookie jars, saucers, the whole deal.

I told her I wanted 4 bowls, 4 big plates, and, at her insistence, 6 little plates.

I have no idea why I'm rebelling against having stuff.

Ryon said...

I am all for being independent and not needing another person, but I think your friend was just saying it would be nice if you had it for the hell of it. I mean, if you had two barstools he could have had a seat etc etc. Plus, don't you know that one is the lonliest number that you'll ever know? Oh wait, two can be as bad as one....

DAMN!

Anonymous said...

haha, I say it's your own apartment, do what makes you happy and content.

Me personally I am a 2 or more person, but not 2 as in waiting for a lover/relationship but 2 sharing with friends. I love the company of great friends and family!

Jamie said...

If they're my friend, then they won't mind squatting on the floor!

citizen student said...

if i squatted you wouldn't get your apartment back ;)

you should stock milk crates and cardboard boxes in your closet so when people ask about your furniture you just whip it out and voila! instant living room.

i love your rebelion against stuff. become a monk

Anonymous said...

True, but then again I think I could be quite happy with a living room full of bean bags. hehe.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com