Monday, October 24, 2005

Nikita and the horse

You know what? I can't remember the TONS of stories I had from the beach. I remember this one, even though now it sounds kind of lame, but I'll tell it anyways so I won't be a TEASE anymore! Maybe I'll remember the others later.

Every afternoon I'd take a golf cart ride around the island with my dog Nikita. She would ride in the seat next to me and stick her head out the side to smell the things we were passing at 15 mph. My father's black lab, Abby, would also come along, but she would run alongside of the cart. Huskies are well known for not behaving off the leash, but about a 1/2 from the house, I would let her off the cart and she and Abby would run together as fast as they could back to the house. By the time she reached the house, she was so tired that she would go right in and drink some water and take a nap.

Except for one afternoon. I let her off the leash and the 3 off us race back to the house- me on the golf cart of course. We go around the corner and the lady down the road is conducting horse lessons right on front of our house. I push the cart to go faster, thinking if Nikita is involved in the race, she won't become distracted with the horse. I pass the lady and the horse and apologize, "I'm sorry, I didn't know you had the horses out." The lady ignored me. Nikita has never seen a horse before and she runs up to the tallest one and gets on her hind legs to sniff the horse's butt. The horse, not liking his butt sniffed by a dog on two legs, moves away. Nikita follows. The horses pushes Nikita away with his hind leg- a warning, not a true kick, but I could see one happening not too far in the future if Nikita doesn't leave that horse alone. Meanwhile, I'm screaming for the dog and she's not listening. My step-mother comes out on the porch, calls for Nikita, and offers her a cookie if she'll come. Nikita is just standing there staring at the horse. The lady tries to shoo her away but she won't move. Then the lady kicks Nikita. Not the horse! The owner! I was too stunned to say anything. I can't believe a woman just kicked my dog! I can understand if the horse did it, but I just can't justify a human kicking a dog. By this time I got Nikita distracted and she came to the house for her cookie.

I told my parents what happened and my father said, "Well, there goes your chance to ride one of her horses!"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ohmygod! [rocking] Not a happy story, not a happy story. I don't know what I'd do if someone kicked my dog! Ohmygod! It's not like your dog was biting its ankles or something! That's fairly crappy...

Paige said...

Um, that's pretty messed up. Who wants to ride that bitches horses anyway?

Jeff said...

If anyone ever kicked my dog like that, I'd go over and kick them in the head. There's no reason to kick or hurt a dog..unless the dog is attacking you and you have to defend yourself etc. But, that person who kicks my dog, will wish they never had!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com