Thursday, September 08, 2005

A letter to my dear readers

There is a reason why I've been so lame recently. I don't know why I've been keeping everything in, 98% of you won't judge me. Overall, you're more supportive than anyone else in my life, which sometimes is the only thing that keeps me going. I'm calling out to you now because I need you. I've needed you all along, but I've been proud.

Many of you know that I left Athens, my home. I moved back to my hometown, exactly 6 years after I left it. I moved for a better career. I was supposed to be here temporarily until I had enough time and money to find a place of my own. I was scheduled to move last weekend. That didn't happen. The new job that I left my home, friends, and comforts for didn't work out.

I'm okay with this. I mean I'm royally pissed that I relocated myself for no reason, but I have had enough jobs to know that my career is not the most important thing in my life. I interview extremely well and I know I'll find something else. I was supposed to eventually run my father's business, and we're having talks about me *hopefully* joining him soon.

But it was a blow to the ego. Being stranded at home with my family didn't exactly help out my stress either. Together, we're a nasty bunch, armed with sharp tongues that could make a bully cry. Living at home altered my personality. I wasn't as careful as I should have been.

Shortly after my unexpected unemployment, Matt left me. I sent him a text message that read, "If you don't love what I got you for your birthday, than you're an idiot." Something my parents used to say to me all the time. It didn't even cross my mind that anyone would take offense to it. To be honest, I still don't see it. I guess I'm desensitized. However, Matt took the greatest offense to it and sent me a text message back, "I can't do this anymore." My boyfriend just shy of a year broke up with me through a text message. Pretty shitty. And this transpired after my mother declared me depressed.

Now my entire world is upside-down. I living in a city I hate (always have- couldn't wait to leave it the first time.) It's been 6 years and no one I know is left here. I have no job and I just got out of a serious relationship. I'm a prisoner in the house I grew up in.

Sometimes- when it's sunny, 82 degrees outside, and the wind blows just right- I feel free. I am obligated to no one on this entire world. I can go anywhere and do anything I like. I could move to NYC and work for a publisher. I can move to London. I can help in one of those relief camps in Africa. My possibilities are endless.

But when it's not perfect outside, as it is most of the time, I'm not alright. This is why I've been having panic attacks. I'm completely and entirely overwhelmed, not to mention utterly heart-broken. I can't breathe, my chest hurts, and my stomach is tied in knots. I'm temperamental and have been horrible to my father, who is only trying to help, but I've shut him out, unable to forgive him suddenly for past mistakes. I find it's easier to be angry than any other emotion.

I don't know what I'm expecting. I don't even know what I'm looking for. I feel like I haven't been fair and honest with you, mainly because of pride. I'm slowly realizing that I can't go through this alone and I think I need your support. I need to be able to discuss these things.

So now you know the naked truth about me.

5 comments:

Paige said...

Oh man, beat out by Ms Thang...I was actually thinking "oooh, someone posted before me...that's good, Jamie needs more than me to get through this, I'm glad people are supporting her!" So thanks MsThang.

You know how I feel about this though Jamie, we've emailed....so I'm just gonna say this: I'm here for you, and it was really brave of you to post that on here.

Anonymous said...

Hey there. Well, I'm a new reader. Got to you through Paige, I think.

I have no words of wisdom for you. No advice. No comfort.

I'll just say that I'm sorry for everything that's going on. It seems like a crappy situation. Except for the nice weather. And I hope things start to look up for you.

I'll also say that either you're naturally a good writer, or adversity brings that out in you.

Jeff said...

I can feel your pain on more than one level, being suddenly unemployed after relocating and being dumped via email/txt msg. Know that my prayers will be with you through this time of need. All of this sucks ass. I wish I had some amazing words of wisdom to offer to you...but alas, I do not. The one thing I can offer to you is a listening ear. If you wish to talk, let me know, I have an incredible gift of listening and compassion. (afterall, I used to be a youth minister and dealt with such issues often) so let me know what I can do for you. I'll be in Atlanta in the next week and a half or so. Again, I'm sorry that everything is going so poor for you. But remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Anonymous said...

hey james,

i know we haven't talked in forever, but you do still have at least one friend in Marietta and I literally live down the street!!! come by any time. I know this whole thing sucks right now and you are always welcome to come and vent, hang out or get totally drunk whenever you want!!

Anonymous said...

Hey James,

I know its been forever since we've talked, but you do still have at least one person here in Marietta and I literally live down the street!! I know this totally sucks right now and you are always welcome to come by to vent, hang out or get totally drunk whenever you want to!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com