Tuesday, June 28, 2005

So long, farewell...

I had my LAST interview today with the owner of my prospective job. He asked good questions and the interview was going really well until this:

Owner: So that's all the questions I have for you.
Jamie: Okay.
Owner: So did [the lady who has been interviewing you] tell you the next step in the process?
Jamie: No... (Thinking, 'You're the owner, isn't that up to you?')
Owner: Well, I don't know either. Let me go ask.
Gets up and leaves, meanwhile Jamie is sitting alone and staring at his desk. He is gone for a minute or two.
Owner: That's it for now. She'll call you in a day or so. If she hasn't by then, give us a call.
Jamie: Okay.

I left the interview not as confident as I had been all along. I thought the interview went well right up to that point. It was just weird to sit through that.

About 4 hours later I received a call from them. I got the job! I start July 18th. I put in my two-weeks notice immediately with my current company. It was sad, I felt like I was breaking up with them: "No it's not you, it's me. I just think this solution will be better for me where I am in my life right now. I'm going to miss you and remember the good times. No, don't cry."

Okay so they didn't actually cry, but I might when it's time for me to actually leave. I don't know why. I'm not good at leaving people and I'm terrible at rejecting people. We'll see how this turns out.

3 comments:

Paige said...

WooHoo! Congrats! See ya suckers! :-)

Jeff said...

Congrats on the new job!! What will you be doing?

Jamie said...

It's called "reader services" and I'll be handling subscriptions and be doing a lot of proofing for a magazine in Atlanta

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com