Thursday, March 10, 2005
I grew up in Georgia. I firmly believed that everyone used "y'all" frequently and without abandon until I was 17 and visited family in Pennsylvania and they made fun of me.

When I was 21, I dated a boy who grew up in New York. He talked funny. He informed me that I "lived in the Bible Belt" and the rest of the country doesn't operate like we do. Apparently not everyone in public school systems opens the school day with "a moment of quiet reflection" in which to pray and it's unusual for a girl to own a pick-up truck. "Fwwpah!" I scoffed at him!

Then one day I read in the paper that one Georgia senator proposed strapping an electric chair to the bed of a pick-up truck and have it drive on the highways for display as a crime deterrent.

Okay so maybe we do things a bit differently here.

For the past couple of years, I've been acutely aware of the weirdness of the south in the back of my mind. Fortunately, I'm able to dismiss any strangeness as doings of rednecks and poor white trash. Besides they live in trailer parks across the country- they aren't limited to the southern region.

But this- oh God...

That damn paper. I open it again this morning and saw a big picture of a dog on the cover. Underneath it, I read this story.


Posted by Hello

Governor to Neuter Dog at Clinic

ATLANTA (AP) -- If dogs can hope, Nelson is hoping the governor hasn’t lost his touch.

The 9-month-old Rottweiler-Labrador retriever mix is scheduled to be neutered Thursday under the knife of Gov. Sonny Perdue, a licensed veterinarian. The governor is performing the 30-minute operation to help celebrate the Atlanta Humane Society clinic’s 132nd birthday. Perdue hasn’t made his living as a veterinarian since 1980, although aides say he maintained his certification and occasionally works on the pets of family and friends.

Nelson will be put up for adoption after the surgery.

We’re hoping this will help him get some coverage and go to a loving home,” said P.J. Smith, spokeswoman for the Humane Society. “He’s a great dog.”

The Atlanta chapter is hoping the governor’s participation will raise awareness about the importance of spaying and neutering pets. Between 3 million and 4 million unwanted cats and dogs are euthanized annually in the United States, according to Humane Society estimates.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Of course! Of course the governor of Georgia would volunteer to cut a dog's balls off! What? What did he think this would accomplish? He hasn't been a practicing vet since 1980! 15 years! Is this supposed to be a good idea?! Is this the decision that's going to reinstill respect for southerners? Jack-off.

And wouldn't you believe he's catching shit for not choosing a yellow lab.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com